If the pandemic has taught us anything it’s to remember how important the people in your life are, family, friends, friends that have become family, or whoever is in your circle. Over the past two years, I’ve scheduled time to talk to some friends and zoom with others and more recently, headed out to have some fun when we can, whether it’s catching a movie, grabbing a bite to eat or heading to an event. The people we surround ourselves with matter so today on the blog, I’m sharing 6 Ways To Celebrate Galentine’s Day With Your Friends.
Before we get to those activities, do you know what Galentine’s Day Is? If not, Galentine’s Day is a day to celebrate your best friends, before you go and celebrate with your significant other on valentine’s Day. The concept actually stems from television’s Parks & Recreation starring Tina Fey & Amy Pohler and has become popular in it’s own right. So with the explanation out if the way, new to celebrating this best friend’s holiday or not, let’s get to those Galentine’s ideas.
6 Ways To Celebrate Galentine’s Day With Your Friends This Year
- Movie Marathon: What better way to spend time with your friends than with a movie marathon? There are so many choices here from films about friends to stick with the theme or romance, catch up on favorites from another time in your life or choose a favorite genre. After the lineup is set, grab your favorite snacks and settle in for a fun night. I had to put this option at the top of the list because it’s the easiest option when considering a disability like I do. You can host the movie marathon so that you won’t have to worry about access or being comfortable during the fun.
- Play Tourist In Your City: Have you visited at least five of the fun or interesting places your city is known for? If your answer is no, grab your friends, your masks and a phone charger so you can go play tourist for a day. We all know that everyday life is so busy and it’s true, but take a little time to explore the area where you’re living, you might just find a new favorite spot, restaurant or activity. As a New Yorker I’ve been to a few such as The Rockefeller Tree, The Christmas Spectacular at Radio City, A Cirque Du Soleil Show and a few other fun activities, but there is so much more to do in this city, some I may not be able to because of access or something else, but I’ve learned how much fun it is find out what there is to do in the area. If you’re a wheelchair user like me this can take some planning which can be annoying, but it could also be worth the memories.
- Take A Class Together: Always wanted to learn something new? Find a class and do it with friends. Whether it’s a one night wine tasting, painting or cooking class for a few weeks, Grab your best friends and go have some fun.
- Start A Book Club: Are you and a few friends avid readers? This Galentine’s Day, start a book club. This is a great way to celebrate if you don’t want to meet in person yet because you can do it virtually. There are a few ways to organize this and meet up so everyone is having fun, just figure out what works for your group and go with it.
- Girl’s Night Of Fun & New Food: I’ve taken a few courses and webinars on various topics and during one of them we were talking and the moderator was telling us that there were a few times she had a few going out outfits in her closet and no place to wear them to, so she grabbed a few friends, went to a local event after the event she and her friends would try a new restaurant. There is no reason to wait for a special occasion to wear those cute outfits you have in your closet, create your own. Find some local events, go through your closet and pull out those cute outfits, grab your friends and go. Whether you make it a monthly thing or every few months depending on your schedules doesn’t matter, it’s fun times with your friends. When I first heard the idea I thought what a great way to ensure you are having some fun, the idea stuck and became part of my focused, but fun theme for 2022. What’s your theme for the year, is there something you can do with friends to get started if so try that too.
- Girl’s Weekend Or Staycation: Girl’s weekend or Staycation, living in New York, in the middle of Winter, I’d tell you to do a girl’s weekend so place warm, but if that is not an easy option for you because it’d require a lot of planning as it would in my case because of my disability, opt for a staycation. Go somewhere local, check into a hotel, take advantage of some of the amenities, and enjoy the time reconnecting with your friends.
This Galentine’s Day post is geared toward going out given how far we’ve come in terms of dealing with the pandemic, however we still have to be cautious so if going out isn’t comfortable for you yet, check out my blog post from February a few years ago featuring Girl’s Night In Ideas.
As an adult, who doesn’t see my friends everyday in the same classes, I learned that staying connected with friends means making time especially if you don’t live nearby and the pandemic only hammered that lesson home for me. I set up phone calls and video calls with the friends who have moved out of state in addition to making plans with those who live close enough to see once in a while Galentine’s Day, while made up from a TV show gives a second to remember to celebrate our best friends so whether you’re doing one of these activities on Galentine’s Day this year or planning to make it something you do every few months, I hope you have fun. Happy Galentine’s Day girl
Do you have anything you like to do with your friends to celebrate Galentine’s Day? Let me know in the comments/