Happy Galentine’s Day! Although this time of year is all about romance for Valentine’s Day, it’s a day that may not be for everyone. Whether you’re single, don’t like the holiday, have found your forever Valentine or somewhere in between, it’s currently Valentine’s Day overload, so instead I decided to do something a little different and create some content for Galentine’s Day. If you’re looking for something low-key to do with your friends this weekend grab some snacks and check out some of the movies on my Galentine’s Day movies to watch list. Have fun.
(IDK Heading For Galentine’s Day)
- Revenge Of The Bridesmaids: This is one of my favorite friendship movies so I had to put it at the top of the list. Revenge of the Bridesmaids(2010) stars Raven Symone as Abigail Scanlon JoAnna Garcia Swisher as Parker Ward, Chryssie Whitehead as Rachael Phillips and Virginia Williams as Caitlan Mcnabb. During a visit to their hometown, Abigail and Parker discover that frenemy Caitlan Mcnabb is marrying Racheal’s ex-boyfriend. When the women discover that Rachael still loves her ex, the women plan to break up the couple from the inside as bridesmaids, so naturally chaos ensues. This movie is a story of true friendship, with a little bit of rom-com mixed in and is guaranteed to make you laugh.
- Bride Wars: I know, a running theme of bridal movies on a day that is supposed to be about friendships instead of the typical Valentine’s Day focus. I promise this one is worth watching especially if you haven’t seen it before. Bridesmaids (2009), stars Kate Hudson as Olivia “Liv” and Anne Hathaway as Emma Thompson/ When the women get engaged around the same time, they decide to be each other’s maid of honor and plan their weddings together. This movie takes a turn when these best friends turn bridezillas trying to outdo each other. They learn more about themselves and each other and in the end decide that their friendship matters too much. I love this movie because it proves that friendships can truly be tested and you can be better for it.
- Pitch Perfect & The Sequels: Pitch Perfect is a musical comedy about how the things you experience in college and the friends you make will be some of the best times in your life. Pitch Perfect (2012) starring Anna Kendrick as Bella, Brittany Snow as Chloe, Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy, and several others is about an all-girl Acapella group, the Barden Bellas. The first movie follows along as these women make self-discoveries, grow closer as a group, but most importantly work to beat their rivals and current national champions the Barden Treblemakers. The sequels released in 2015 and 2017 follow the Bellas through college as work to keep the national championship title and their lives going smoothly and naturally not every goes as planned. These movies are uniquely funny with an amazing cast and definitely for you and friends as a movie to watch this Galentine’s Day if you love a musical every now and then.
- The Princess Diaries & It’s Sequel: The Princess Diaries (2001) starring Anne Hathaway as Mia Thermoplis, as Lily Moscovitz and Juile Andrews as Queen Clarisse, follows Mia, an everyday teen who at her mother’s request agrees to have lunch with her paternal grandmother who tells her that she is in a princess and must decide if she will accept her birthright as the next ruler of Genovia. Although she doesn’t make any immediate decision, Mia decides to go through with princess lesions which changes to her appearance and her lifestyle that best friend doesn’t understand which puts their friendship to the test. This is a feel good comedy that in my opinion is all about true friendship, confidence in yourself and a little bit of the princess glamor because it is a princess movie after all. The sequel The Princess Diaries 2 (2004) Follows Mia as she does things as they’ve always been done, but eventually finds the strength to change up the status quo. This movie focuses on finding your voice and standing up for what you believe is right, though I usually pick originals over sequels. I like them both for different reasons and they definitely have a place in Galentine’s Day movie lineup.
- John Tucker Must Die: This movie is underrated in my book. Released in 2006, John Tucker Must Die is about a group girls who after discovering they’re all dating the most popular guy in school, band together from different cliques to get John Tucker played by Jesse Metcafe to get him to fall for the newest girl in school with plans to give him a taste of his own medicine. Starring Brittany Snow as Kate, Ashanti as Heather, Arielle Kebbel as Carrie and Sophia Bush as Beth. Although this movie was released some time ago, I love it because it shows you can find the greatest of friends in unexpected places, especially if you put aside preconceived notions.
- Girls Trip: This movie is the perfect example of one of the movies that is a must watch on Galentine’s Daythat the friends you make in college can be there for the rest of your life, be by your side through the ups and downs. Girls Trip (2017) follows four college friends as they reunite after 5 years since their last get together for a girls trip to Essence Fest when one of them is the keynote speaker. During the trip, memories are made, old hurts are healed and more as these women find strength in their friendship.Girl’s Trip features Queen Latifah as Sasha, Tiffany Haddish as Dina,Regina Hall as Ryan and Jada Pinkett Smith as Lisa
There are many movies and friendships that I could add to this, but I chose these because for me, they are movies you can watch again and again, learning something new each time. Additionally, although all of these movies have elements of romance, the focus is on the friendship the bond it creates and how your friends will always be there for you. Do you have any movies I should add to this list of Movies To Watch This Galentine’s Day? If so let me know in the comments.
Happy Galentine’s Day! If you’re looking for other things to do this Galentine’s Day, check out my article on 6 Ways To Spend Galentine’s Day With Your Friends
Leave a Reply